I worked on this advert for Audi about a year ago, and in 2012 we've had some great news - it was nominated for the VISUAL EFFECTS SOCIETY AWARDS in 3 categories: Outstanding Visual Effects in an Animated Commercial, Outstanding Environments, and Outstanding Animated Character in a Broadcast Program or Commercial.
I was particularly happy that we got a nomination for the character animation, since I animated the hummingbird, bees and ducks, as well as the flowers blowing in the wind! Unfortunately the marketing department in the company forgot to send the names of the animators in the team (Gemma Aliaga and myself), so you can only see the project leads' names on the VES website.
You can see our names here in the company page for that project, under 3D Artists:
Recently it also won the CG Commercial Award from the 3D WORLD CG AWARDS 2012:
And lastly, it was selected for the Advertising Producers Association Collection 2012, a collection that 'showcases the best commercials of the year from UK production, post and editing companies and UK agencies'.
During my holidays in Brazil, I made a short film with my friend Juliana Andrade using images she had made of the demolition of a neighbourhood in Belo Horizonte for the expansion of city roads. We decided to give it a twist by showing the images in a different context, like that of the creation of the world, rather than the destruction of an area. Hence the title 'Fiat Lux', Latin for 'Let there be light'. I composed the soundtrack from sounds captured in the actual place. It was fun as my first experience composing music! The film was selected for the CineBH Film Festival and screened last October. Here's the link to the festival page http://www.cinebh.com.br/ and a capture of the timetable mentioning the film:
- Curta Circuito: International Animation Day (Belo Horizonte and Ipatinga, Brazil, 2010/2011) - box[ur]shorts at Kino Sputnik (Liestal, Switzerland, 2010) - Cortoons TV (www.streamit.it) part of CORTOONS International Short Animated Film Festival (Rome, 2011) - shortCUTS (Berlin, 2011) - Anim!arte 2011 - Mostra retrospectiva 10 anos (Rio de Janeiro, 2011) - Itinerant Festival of animated short films part of the 'Fémynie & Dignité' endowment fund for the defence of the education for all (Tunisia, 2011)
Here's the Niggles and Narks O2 Broadband advert I worked on a few months ago. It was a great team to work with. This is the 60 second spot, for which I animated a few shots. I animated almost all shots for the 20 second spot that features the Mystery Mook, which was a lot of fun. Unfortunately it is not on Youtube, but you can check my shots in the reel above:
The ad for the new Samsung 3D TV is finally out. I was very happy to animate all of the butterflies for this. I have my shots in the demo reel, and here's a link to the full advert:
And here you can find some more information on the projects and the credits. You can also find these at The Mill website:
I have been told by the Canada International Film Festival that I will be receiving the Royal Reel Award for Excellence in Film-making this March! As the event will take place in Vancouver, I will have a friend that lives there represent me at the awards ceremony.
Some time ago I was interviewed for the Central Saint Martins website. They chose a few students from the university and created alumni profiles for them. This is my interview:
And this is an interview for the State of Minas Gerais blog in Brazil with text and video (in Portuguese):
My short film 'Ceci n'est pas une mouche' has been invited to be broadcast on MHz Networks in the US, a new satellite TV channel that reaches millions of viewers in the country. Their aim is to show more quality international content to American audiences. I was very happy to have been invited to be a part of their programming. The film should start being broadcast in March.
And it can be watched by all customers of Virgin Media TV on demand for free.
It was featured on the DVD of the September issue of 3D World magazine as one of the nominees for the Bitfilm Awards. And after one year submitting it to festivals, I can finally show the complete list of festival screenings so far. They are over 65 festivals in 29 countries and it's great to see the film was seen by people from so many different cultures.
Screenings & Awards:
- Canada International Film Festival (Canada, 2010) - ROYAL REEL AWARD FOR EXCELLENCE IN FILMMAKING - Festival Internazionale del Cinema d'Arte (Italy, 2009) - SPECIAL JURY AWARD - Dervio International Animation Festival (Italy, 2009) - BEST CHARACTER AWARD - Portable Film Festival (Australia, 2009) - 2ND PLACE - GET ANIMATED CATEGORY - Comic-Con International Independent Film Festival (USA, 2009) - California International Animation Festival (USA, 2009) - Virgin Media Shorts - Finalist (UK, 2009) - box[ur]shorts Film Festival 2010 - Los Angeles/New York City/Alpharetta/Park City (USA) Basel (Switzerland) Hiroshima (Japan) - Toronto Animated Image Society Animation Showcase (Canada, 2009) - Nuit Blanche Toronto (Canada, 2009) - Globalfest (Canada, 2009) - Animation Attack! (USA, 2009) - NextFrame (USA, 2009) - Portobello Film Festival London (UK, 2009) - Rotoreliefs (UK, 2010) - Bitfilm Festival (Germany, 2009) - I Castelli Animati International Animated Film Festival (Italy, 2009) - Cartoon Club International Festival of Animation Cinema and Comics (Italy, 2009) - Bornshorts International Film Festival (Denmark, 2009) - Giggleshorts International Comedy Short Film Festival (Canada, 2009) - Athens Video Art Festival (Greece, 2009) - Psarokokalo International Short Film Festival of Athens (Greece, 2010) - PISAF - Puchon International Student Animation Festival (Korea, 2009) - China International Animation and Digital Arts Festival (China, 2009) - Propeller Studentfest Finalists - Screened at the Leeds Film Festival, Reading Festival, Latitude Festival and the Hull International Short Film Festival (UK, 2009) - European Youth Film Festival of Flanders - (Belgium, 2009) - Festival International du court-métrage d’animation de Neufchâteau (Belgium, 2009) - Croq'Anime Festival of Animated Short Films (France, 2009) - Festival Séquence court-métrage (France, 2009) - Clermont-Ferrand Short Film Market (France, 2010) - Festival d'Oise du Court (France, 2009) - Algarve International Film Festival (Portugal, 2009) - FIKE - Evora International Short Film Festival (Portugal, 2009) - Euroshorts (Poland, 2009) - AleKino! (Poland, 2009) - AniFest (Czech Republic, 2010) - Budapest Short Film Festival (Hungary, 2009) - Kinofest (Romania, 2009) - Banjaluka International Animated Film Festival (Bosnia and Herzegovina, 2009) - St. Petersburg International Youth Film Festival (Russia, 2009) - Message to Man International Film Festival (Russia, 2009) - International Short Film Festival of Montecatini Terme (Italy, 2009) - Video Festival Imperia (Italy, 2009) - ISCA - Istituto per lo Studio del Cinema di Animazione di Milano (Italy, 2009) - Durban International Film Festival (South Africa, 2009) - Anim!Arte (Brazil, 2009) - MUMIA - Mostra Udigrudi Mundial de Animacao (Brazil, 2009) - Festcine Festival de Cinema Universitario (Brazil, 2009) - Expotoons (Argentina, 2009) - Montezuma International Film Festival (Costa Rica, 2009) - YOUKI International Youth Media Festival (Austria, 2009) - Going Underground - International Subway Film Festival Berlin (Germany, 2009) - Up-and-coming International Film Festival Hannover (Germany, 2009) - International Low & No Budget Short Film Festival (Germany, 2009) - Festival Internacional de Filmets de Badalona - Barcelona (Spain, 2009) - Animacam (Spain, 2009) - Cinekid Screening Club (Netherlands, 2009) - Leith Short Film Festival (UK, 2009) - Time Out ‘On the Up’ (UK, 2008) - The National Gallery, London (UK, 2008) - Istanbul International Children’s Film Festival (Turkey, 2008) - Akbank Short Film Festival (Turkey, 2009) - Discovering Latin America Film Festival (UK, 2008) - Yobi TV - Semifinalist (US, 2009) - Encounters Short Film Festival – Imagine Student Competition Finalists (UK, 2008)
These are some drawings I've made recently. The more sketchy ones were made during my friend's dance lessons. It was hard to draw them as they would never hold a pose for more than an instant, but these are some of the drawings in which I was able to capture some of the choreography, mood or shapes they were creating:
The more finished ones are from a life drawing class at Candid Arts:
I went to the talk with Richard Williams for the release of the new expanded edition of his Animator's Survival Kit, and not only I got an autograph, I got to take a picture with the man himself! He was very generous in sharing loads of stories and tips from the new book and it was a joy listening to him talk about his career.
I also got to talk to animator Roy Naisbitt who worked with him for 25 years, 12 of which on the Thief and the Cobbler. He said he was actually born in Rio, where his parents were on holiday, and came to the UK after 3 weeks of being born!
This is the trailer for a very cool project I worked on some time ago. It was a whole bunch of promos for the UK-based band One eskimO. It was directed by Sam Cundall for Passion Pictures and is being released by Warner Premiere. I animated a couple of scenes of the little eskimo:
I was interviewed by the Harrow Observer the other week about being shortlisted for the Virgin Media Shorts competition and when I went to the newsagents I found out they had put me on the front page! It was a funny experience. Then there was a one page article right on page 3. That was very generous of them. Here are both pages:
There is also an interview on the Virgin Media Shorts website. Here's the introduction:
'I’m fascinated by the influences and imaginings that lead each one to bring their own particular short to life. If you’re with me on that one, take a look at the interviews with Regan and Carlos in particular for a fascinating insight into how two great films came into being.'
'Ceci n'est pas une mouche' has been shortlisted for Virgin Media Shorts! The 12 shortlisted films will be transferred to 35mm and shown all over the UK in over 200 cinemas for a year, which is pretty much the best prize I could ever think of.
One of the competition organisers told me during an interview I should be especially proud to have my first animated film making the shortlist, because many of the other film-makers are very well established people in the industry, having directed commercials, music videos, etc. for years, and that the UK Film Council helped choose these finalists based on how promising the film-makers were, and considering how successful they would be in future projects. It was quite amazing to hear that.
We recorded an interview the other day, there was a photo shoot with me sitting in a director's chair (which they gave me as a present afterwards!), and I was also interviewed for the Harrow Observer and will be featured there on Thursday the 20th of August.
A jury will decide which one of the film-makers will get funding for a new short film, and there is also a People's Choice award on the website, so if you can please go there and give me your vote and leave a comment!
- Animation Attack! (USA, 2009) - NextFrame (USA, 2009) - Bitfilm Festival (Germany, 2009) - Cartoon Club International Festival of Animation Cinema and Comics (Italy, 2009) - Bornshorts International Film Festival (Denmark, 2009) - Budapest Short Film Festival (Hungary, 2009) - Giggleshorts International Comedy Short Film Festival (Canada, 2009) - China International Animation and Digital Arts Festival (China, 2009) - Festival d'Oise du Court (France, 2009) - International Low & No Budget Short Film Festival (Germany, 2009) - Animacam (Spain, 2009)
And the film will be featured in 3D World Magazine in September as one of the nominated films for the Bitfilm Awards!
Last week 'Ceci n'est pas une mouche' has won two awards in Italy! The first was the 'Best Character Award' at the International Animation Festival of Dervio, and the second was the 'Special Jury Award' in the Festival Internazionale del Cinema d'Arte. These are the other film-makers Susan, Ron and Nicolas, the festival organizer Anita and me after the awards ceremony:
'Ceci n'est pas une mouche' is now part of the official selection of the:
- Toronto Animated Image Society Animation Showcase (at the NFB Cinema - what an honour!); - Message to Man International Film Festival (St Petersburg, Russia); - Durban International Film Festival (South Africa); - and... COMIC-CON!!! The Comic-Con International Independent Film Festival will happen in San Diego as part of the massive conference. Wish I could be there for the screening!!
I have been contacted by organisers of other festivals that were present at some of the screenings and have now invited me to show the film in their events! These include:
- Festcine - Festival de Cinema Universitario (which happens in Brazil in my hometown Belo Horizonte and in Rio!); - Animation Film Festival of Dervio; - and ISCA - Istituto per lo Studio del Cinema di Animazione di Milano.
Continuing with the list, last week it was screened at the Leith Short Film Festival in Edinburgh. Beautiful city!
For those of you that speak German, the film has been featured on the 'Britspotting' website in their spotlight section, with a very funny description: http://de.britspotting.de/2009/05/13/spotlight-on-carlos-fraiha/
It finished its run as a semifinalist in the Yobi Film Contest, making the top 10, and it had almost 50,000 views on the website!
The film also has a page on IMDB now! Because of some of the festival screenings, I was invited by them to set up a page, and now it's up with a trailer and everything =) Check it out on http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1439528/
'Ceci n'est pas une mouche' is only a few days from the finals in the Yobi Film Contest. The film has had 40855 views in the website! Please check it out in the link below and give me a vote if you can ;) Thank you!
I'm a character animator currently working at MPC.
I had my formal training at the postgraduate Character Animation course at the Central Saint Martins College of Art and Design - University of the Arts London, and also have a background in graphic design and video making.
Here you will find some of my work, including my short film, demo reel and artwork.